You may find it overwhelming with the amount of security camera systems on the market. They are all very different, have different functions, and different pricing structures. While this is true, one thing is clear. In today’s society, you need one. In 2021, the violent crime rate rose by over 5% compared to 2020. This may not seem large, but in 2020, the violent crime rate rose by over 29% compared to 2019. These statistics are deeply troubling. As society gets more polarized, we predict that the crime rate will continue to rise. To combat this and keep you and your family safe, you need a first line of defense: a security camera system. They are a great way to stay prepared. In this article we cover the best home security camera system for a beginner to install, based on ease and features.
What security camera features do you need?
There are many features out there: ones that can automatically call the police, night vision, motion detection, etc. Ideally, you do not want to be staring at a screen all day or night to ensure no one is snooping around. Here are the features I recommend:
- Night Vision – You need to be able to see what is going on at night. Ideally a light attached to the camera that activates via motion detection would be best.
- Region Setting – With region setting, you can select certain areas in the camera frame to be notified about. You don’t want to be notified every time a car drives by your home.
- Notifications – You want customizability with notifications. For example, notify me if someone is at my front door only if it is past 7 pm.
- Ease of Use – You want something that has an easy setup. It should not take an IT installation expert to set it up.
- Encryption – Make sure your connections are secure, otherwise someone can access all your footage, and use this information maliciously.
What security camera system has these features?
The one that has these features also happens to be the one I currently use: the Ring Spotlight Security Camera. I recommend the wired version, as the battery and solar version seem to be unreliable.
The best part about Ring is that the yearly fee for unlimited cameras is only $14.99 (per year). That comes out to be less than $1.25 per month.
Here is a full list of all the features Ring has:
- HD security camera with two-way audio (hear and speak)
- Motion-activated light
- Access the Ring App from your phone and control your security cameras(s)
- Customizable motion zones to focus in on important areas
- Real-time notifications directly to your phone or tablet
- Live view – view your security footage from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection
- Get safety alerts about your neighborhood from neighbors and local law enforcement agencies
What else should I do/know?
Security cameras are a great way to protect, you, your family, and your home. They are a first line of defense that can be used to either dissuade potential burglaries or provide protection as your “eyes” when you’re not home. As a first line of defense, you need to choose a good brand and camera system that has all of the latest and necessary features. We recommend the Ring Spotlight Camera as a great camera for any beginner or mid-level user, because the setup is easy, and Ring offers a wide range of features to satisfy and cover anyone’s needs.
It is important to note that a security camera system will not fully cover you. There are many other steps you need to put in place in order to have a safe, secure, and prepared household.